Saturday, April 19, 2014

Perfect Creamy Scrambled Eggs

My mum makes the best scrambled eggs EVER! Her scrambled eggs are on the wet side which makes it taste soooo good.

However, I feel that my mum's scrambled eggs are not near perfect... yet. There are a few things I feel can still be improved.

My mum would normally cook the eggs together with the onions, so the onions are not quite soft once the scrambled eggs are done. Another thing would be, my mum doesn't beat the eggs before pouring it the pan, hence the yolk and whites can be seen very clearly - presentation wise not so nice lah. She seasons the eggs while on the pan, so some parts tend to be a little bit salty/peppery and the specks of pepper can be seen clearly. OCD much? Haha. The last thing would be, she cooks it on a medium flame, normally the eggs are cooked pretty fast, which makes the end result to be on the watery side.. not creamy.

So how can I make it perfect?

As I'm more keen on cooking now, my mum never makes these scrambled eggs anymore. So I had to make sure whenever anyone in my family craves for these scrambled eggs (which includes my mum), my version has to be as good or even better than hers. After a few attempts, keeping note on the things that I wanted to improve (refer above), I think I've succeeded. Even my mum approves!

My goal was to make it creamier instead of just wet and watery. I want my scrambled eggs to look all yellow, no whites to be seen. The onions has to be soft and the eggs should be season well - hence (in my opinion) making it the Perfect Creamy Scrambled Eggs. I have to get the texture just right for this to work.

...

Here's my version of creamy scrambled eggs. I'm using exactly the same ingredients as my mums', only the technique is different. No need to put cream or even milk! It's more about technique though. Hopefully, I'm able to explain clearly how it is done.



Serves : 2 people / enough to be eaten with 4 pieces of toast.

Ingredients
2 whole eggs
1/2 a medium sized onion, diced
1 tbsp of ghee
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a bowl, crack the eggs, season with salt and pepper and beat it well.
2. Melt the ghee in a pan. Add in the diced onions, cook them until the onions turns translucent and soft.
3. Once the onions are cooked, turn down to the lowest flame and add in the beaten eggs. Stir them around, making sure everything is well incorporated. Don't leave any cooked eggs sticking to the pan. If the eggs are cooking too fast, pull the pan away from the flame and keep on stirring. You will reach a stage when the egg mixture starts to thicken. Please keep on stirring. You will also notice that the colour of the eggs are a vibrant  yellow (or it is orange?). When half of the mixture starts to turn solid and half of it is still wet, that is when it is done. Just refer to the photo above to understand what I mean. Hahaha. :P
4. Serve on buttered toast. Bite. Chew. Swallow. :D

Labels: ,



Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Older Posts    Home    Newer Posts
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...