Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Baked Chicken Mozzarella

FYI, I'm subscribed to foodwishes a cooking channel on Youtube. Last week Chef John reuploaded one of his older videos - Chicken Parmesan Casserole, so I thought I should try it. The original recipe is in his blog, here's a direct link.

As usual, since the recipe yield for a larger amount of people (5-6 people) , I had to downsize the ingredients, since I'm only cooking for 3 people (my parents and myself). Below are the ingredients I used for my Baked Chicken Mozzarella. Yes, I'm using Mozzarella instead of Parmesan.

This recipe serves 2 to 4 people.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1/2 a sachet of Domino's hot red pepper flakes
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into halves
150 ml of Kimball Tomato Soup
150 ml water
1 tomato, diced
1 pinch of dried Oregano
100 grams of mozzarella, shredded
some croutons or make your own (3 slices of bread, sliced into cubes)

......

Preparations:

a) The Croutons
- I couldn't find any ready made croutons in the supermarket so I had to make my own.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Take 3 slices of bread and cut them into small cubes.
- Baked them until golden brown or until crisp.

b) Tomato Sauce
- I didn't want to buy the ready made sauce, since the Halal status is quite doubtful (e.g. Prego), so I decided to make my own. :P
- I bought a can of Tomato Soup from Kimball. I only used 150 ml of the contents, and mixed it with 150 ml of water and heat it up on a stove. When it reaches to a boil, add in the diced tomatoes. Add a pinch of dried Oregano (optional). Mix well until the tomatoes are soft. Side aside.

c) The Chicken
- My chicken breasts came with skin, so I had to removed the skin and fat. Cut the chicken breasts into halves. This is not neccessary, but it will be easier to serve the chicken if was cut before it was baked. :P
- Note that, we're not big eaters, so 1/2 a chicken breast each should be enough. Feel free to adjust the amount of chicken breasts needed. :P

......


ok.. when all your ingredients have been prepared, we can start assembling all the layers.

Method:
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C.

2. Assemble all the layers
1st layer : in casserole dish, put in olive oil + crushed garlic + red pepper flakes
2nd layer : arrange chicken breast.
3rd layer : tomato sauce with tomato chunks
4th layer : half of the mozzarella cheese
5th layer : croutons
6th layer : half of the remaining mozzarella cheese

3. Bake at 180°C (or 350°F) for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked. I covered my casserole dish with aluminium foil to avoid the top from getting burnt.

4. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.

.....

^
The finish product.. slightly burnt, but still yummy! :">

^
Serve with a side of fresh salad with ceaser dressing!
I got a 2 thumbs up from my parents! :D

Labels: ,



Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Older Posts    Home    Newer Posts
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...