Friday, June 01, 2007

Adieha's Leek Soup

My dad just bought a few stalks of leek and ask me to cook Leek Soup. I have never cooked Leek Soup before in my life, so I looked up in the Internet for the recipe. Most of the recipes for Leek Soup includes potatoes. But I didn't want to add potatoes, coz it would somehow change the flavour of the soup. So I decided to make my own version of Leek Soup WITHOUT potatoes! If you remember, before I had already made a post about Asparagus Soup. Well, that was my dad's request as well. I predict the next soup he'll be asking me to make is Onion Soup, Clam Chowder, Rhubarb Soup or maybe even Broccoli Cheese Soup. Oh my! Slurpp.

Verdict: The soup was really good. Warms up your tummy. The leek has a distinct smell. I realized when I was chopping, it smells like onion, garlic and a slight smell of ginger - combined. It has a very mild, delicate onion taste. But most importantly it doesn't make you cry when you chop it. I'd look it up in Wikipedia and found out that leek is a vegetable that belongs to the onion and garlic family. My nose wasn't playing tricks on me. :))


The Ingredients
4 stalks of leek } chopped
1 onion } diced
3-4 cloves of garlic } finely chopped
1" ginger } finely chopped
3-5 pieces of chicken
salt and pepper
corn starch slurry
4 tbsp of oil

The Stock
1 ½ litres of water
2 cubes of Maggi Chicken Stock
or
you can prepare your own chicken stock from scratch in advance. I use the easy way. Ehehe.

Steps
1. Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in a pot with the oil. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
2. Add in the chicken stock, leeks and chicken pieces. Let it boil until chicken is cooked and the leeks has soften.
3. Scoop out the chicken pieces and put aside. Separate the meat from the bones.
4. Scoop out the leeks from the soup. Leave about ¼ of the leeks in the pot. Let the leek cool for awhile.
5. Blend the leek with 2 cups of soup to create a creamy paste. Add the paste back into the pot, together with the chicken meat. Stir well.
6. Add in seasoning. Wait until it boils, add in corn starch slurry. Mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve while its hot.

This recipe serves 5-6 people.

Note:
- You can add in potatoes or a tin of cream to make the soup thicker. Blend the potatoes with the leeks.
- You can also add in other veggies into the soup before blending such as carrots and broccoli. Just don't use too much, then it won't be leek soup anymore, it will be veggie soup. :P


^
This is Leek and Potato Soup. Mine looks greener coz I didn't use potatoes. :)

Labels: ,



Comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Older Posts    Home    Newer Posts
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...